Dying Light 2 is indefinitely delayed as stated by Techland, so there is no official release date. It will be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S.
Taking the role of Aiden Caldwell, an infected survivor looking for a cure in an unidentified European city where the player encounters and has the choice to aid various factions that are based within it that affect your outcome and gameplay. The game is set 15 years after the events of Dying Light where the Harran Virus has spread across the world and have evolved, plunged it into a period known as the Modern Dark Ages.
While not much has been revealed so far concerning new gameplay mechanics regarding combat or parkour, Dying Light 2 will offer more player choice in missions. Players can make decisions that will affect the environment around the city. By completing a mission in a certain way, say for example siding with a certain faction, players will see a substantial change in the environment as that faction gains influence and begins to change the city in their own unique ways. Some factions may end up establishing order while others revel in the chaos.
Aside from factions, one new change discussed is that the encounters with actual zombies will be lessened. The city is mostly populated by the survivors and faction members during the day, and only during the night when everyone heads indoors do the zombies come out. Zombies can also be found inside, in dark uninhabited buildings.
During your journey throughout the city, you can modify weapons, wall run and jump, sprint across pillars, use the infected to break your fall, pull vent covers off and crawl through them and hide, use your binoculars to mark targets and use your stamina to break down doors (but it also drains your stamina when climbing). Be careful when climbing, zombies can grab you to pull you down. Dying Light 2 also features a 'Tech Tree' that separates proficiencies of 'Parkour' and 'Combat', get exp on each action and accrue giving skill points for new skills and upgrades. Reached a height you can't get down? Use your Paraglider. You gain a grappling hook which you can swing from objects (enemies can grapple as well) or pull objects to you or even grapple mid combat to swing kick at an enemy/infected.
- Aiden Caldwell: The main protagonist of the game, an infected survivor looking for a cure.
- Frank: The main protagonist's mentor and friend, gets shot at the start of the gameplay demo.
- Juan: The main protagonist's friend.
- It has been confirmed that there will be "plenty bits and pieces and collectables and notes and references" to what happened to GRE, and how this organization connects and what role it places in the events between the first game and its sequel. Also there will be "a lot of GRE related stuff" and even side activities set in abandoned GRE labs and quarantine zones in Dying Light 2.
- The player won't encounter any returning characters from the first game.
- Dying Light 2 - Ask Me Anything - Episode 2
- Dying Light 2 Has Been Officially Announced - Polygon
- In Dying Light 2, your choices determine your path to survival | Engadget